Get Personalized Help
Cost to Build Reports
are Only $4.99
with Code CTB2023 (limit 1)
with Code CTB2023 (limit 1)
This report will provide you cost estimates based on location and building materials.
Get Personalized Help
We do our best to get back to you within 24 - 48 business hours.
Need an answer faster? Call now...
Hours: Mon - Fri 9:00 - 8:30 (EDT)
This plan can be customized
Tell us about your desired changes so we can prepare an estimate for the design service. Click the button to submit your request for pricing, or call 1-888-447-1946 for assistance.
Ideal for rural lots, this small home maximizes space through an open floor plan and well organized spaces. Emphasis has been placed on passive solar design techniques. These techniques include large shaded glazing areas that can be oriented for southern exposure. Its materials and method of construction emphasize durability, energy efficiency and modern design. The metal roof and weather resistant fiber cement panel siding will stand the test of time against the elements. The design hosts two generous bedrooms, one full bath with laundry, a large common area and access to a back yard deck. An entire wall of built in casework offers a multi-functional space for storage and entertainment. Opening the pair of double French doors creates a unique transitional space between living space and the outdoors. To maximize passive solar gains the form of the Rural Retreat is rectangular with the largest areas of glass on one of the long faces of the house. These large glazing areas are also shaded through the use of exterior mounted window shades. An important goal during the design of this house was choosing durable materials. A clean modern interior greets you upon entry into the Rural Retreat. High cathedral ceilings make for a lasting first impression and provide for a comfortable transition into a non-confining, spacious common area. The wall of built in case work is a versatile multi-functional space ideal for storage, display and or entertainment. The living room in the is a versatile communal space where many of life’s “at home” activities and comforts can be found such as lounging, reading, surfing the web or watching your favorite movie.
Full Specs & Features
Depth : 20'
Height : 18'
Width : 58'
Decks : 227 sq/ft
Main Floor : 1160 sq/ft
* Total Square Footage typically only includes conditioned space and does not include garages, porches, bonus rooms, or decks.
Main Ceiling : 8' 1"
Primary Pitch : 9:12
Roof Framing : Stick
Roof Type : Gable
Exterior Wall Framing
Exterior Wall Finish : Fiber Cement Panel Siding
Framing : 2"x6"
Main Floor Bedrooms
Additional Room Features
Great Room Living Room
Economical To Build
Energy Efficient Features
Energy Efficient Design
What's Included In This Plan Set
House plans created for Green Living give our customers design options that meet or exceed existing energy standards, while giving options in the realm of cost, style, and environmental commitment. As an example, all Green Living homes are designed to perform 30% to 50% better than prescriptive building code energy performance. The level of home performance depends on the products that you choose.» See important information before purchasing.
Each Green Living house plan includes:
Each Green Living house plan includes:
- General Notes: Typically one sheet of general notes pertinent to the construction of the home
- Exterior Elevations: A blueprint picture of all four sides showing exterior materials and measurements.
- Foundation Plan: Drawn to 1/4" scale, this page shows all necessary notations and dimensions including support columns, walls and excavated and unexcavated areas.
- Floor Plan(s): Detailed plans, drawn to 1/4" scale for each level showing room dimensions, wall partitions, windows, etc. as well as the location of electrical outlets and switches.
- Interior Elevations: Detailed drawings of kitchen cabinet elevations and other elements as required.
- Cross Section: A vertical cutaway view of the house from roof to foundation showing details of framing, construction, flooring and roofing.
- Wall sections and other construction details: Detailed drawings showing wall connections, from foundation to the roof. wall connections to foundation, window installation, siding installation, stair details, and more.
- Framing Plans: Drawn to 1/4" scale. The framing layout is intended to be a suggested layout only. Design loads & weather conditions vary by region. As a result the size, spacing & layout of all structural elements in this home design must be approved by a structural engineer and code official based on your specific site location prior to construction.
- Electrical Plan with electrical symbols legend: In general, each house plan set includes an electrical plan which will show the locations of lights, receptacles, switches, etc. Note: Most Green Living plans have an electrical plan, however some do not. Please contact us to verify. Window shading details: External window shading devices are an effective method for reducing heat gains through windows during Summer. In fact, external shading devices can reduce heat gains by up to 80% if sized and built properly. With this in mind, the founders of Green Living, formerly Free Green, created this page to assist home builders in constructing effective window shading devices. The information we provide includes a zoning map of the United States, zoning charts for proper sizing of shading devices and a variety of shading device styles and materials to suite different tastes and different home designs.
- LEED for Homes Rating System: Guidelines to meet LEED for Homes certification levels of: Certified, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. LEED for Homes is a national, voluntary certification system, developed by national experts and experienced builders, that promotes the design and construction of high-performance green homes and encourages the adoption of sustainable practices by the homebuilding industry. The LEED for Homes Rating System is part of the suite of nationally recognized LEED Green Building Rating Systems administered by USGBC. Like all LEED Rating Systems, it is the market's leadership system, targeting the top 25% of home building practices in terms of environmental responsibility. LEED provides industry resources and tools on how to "green" any new home. With LEED, homebuilders can differentiate their structures as meeting the highest performance measures, and homebuyers can readily identify high quality green homes. LEED provides national consistency in defining the features of a green home, enables builders anywhere in the country to obtain a green rating on their homes, and assures homebuyers of the quality of their purchases, all based on a recognized national brand.
Questions? Call 1-888-447-1946
PDF plan sets are best for fast electronic delivery and inexpensive local printing.
5 Copy Set:
5 printed plan sets mailed to you.
For use by design professionals to make substantial changes to your house plan and inexpensive local printing.
One electronic set for bidding purposes only. Not a legal building set for construction.
Ideal for semi-sloped or level lot, home can be built off of grade, typically 18” - 48”.
Choose this option to reverse your plans and to have the text and dimensions readable.
Additional Construction Sets:
Additional hard copies of the plan (can be ordered at the time of purchase and within 90 days of the purchase date).
Additional Use License:
Allows you to build one more home for each additional license purchased.
Audio Video Design:
Receive an overlay sheet with suggested placement of audio and video components.
Comprehensive Material List:
A complete list of building supplies needed to construct the infrastructure of your new house, plus an overlay of materials shown directly on your PDF (foundation to rooftop with interior and exterior materials), and a detailed, itemized door and window schedule showing all sizes and types. Please allow 5-7 Business Days for completion. Note, the Comprehensive list is only available with a PDF purchase. The Comprehensive list can be ordered no matter what additional plan options you have selected.
Educate yourself about basic building ideas with these four detailed diagrams that discuss electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and structural topics.
Receive an overlay sheet with suggested placement of lighting fixtures.
Mirror Reversed Sets:
A mirror-reversed set is a printed copy of your house, resulting in the same image you would see if you held the drawing up to a mirror. Everything, including the text, is backward in relation to the original design. These kinds of drawing are typically used to reorient an original plan more advantageously on a site, either because the homeowner prefers it that way or because of limitations of the site itself. Note: Mirror reverse sets are only available with a 5 copy or 8 copy set. With a Reproducible, PDF, or CAD set, you can print mirrored copies locally. In addition: 5 Copy set selected, should only allow 4 mirrored sets to be selected. 8 Copy set selected, should only allow 7 mirrored sets to be selected.
Unlimited Use License:
Allows you to build this home as many times as you want.
*Alternate Foundations may take time to prepare.
*Options with a fee may take time to prepare. Please call to confirm.
Unless you buy an “unlimited” plan set or a multi-use license you may only build one home from a set of plans. Please call to verify if you intend to build more than once. Plan licenses are non-transferable and cannot be resold.